So what could you do as a manager if you find yourself with many of these characteristics pervading your school and behaviour policy?
You could choose to ignore it
Justify to yourself that it`s too difficult to implement culture change
Convince yourself that if you continue consistently applying your current behaviour policy that it will get better in the end
If staff only did what they were required to do, behaviour would not be a problem
Convince yourself that because your policy works for 85% of the children if only the other 15% would behave themselves things will be okay
Convince yourself that the reason your school is performing academically at such a low level is due to poor quality teaching and learning, inadequate planning, catchment area and lack of support from parents
or you can just blame society on the whole!
And of course you know in your own heart that none of this is right. If you build self-esteem, self-worth, self resolution in a culture of care and respect, then the spin-off will be dramatic; better attendance, happier teachers and students, less disruption, abuse and resistance and more ability to build at a fantastic community within and outside the school.